From: Don Parth <don-p@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 12:30:29
To: <luci-discuss@luci.org>
Subject: Re: Electronics Projects and PC Interfacing

I haven't messed with direct hardware interfacing in a long, long time.
  Generally, USB and serial ports are best used for communications, with
a computer (i.e. PIC) on the other end to decode.

If you want to directly control the wires, say to control a stepper
motor, I think the parallel port would be the one to use.  It has at
least 12 output and 5-13 input lines (all modern ports can be made
bi-directional).  But here is a 2006 link to get a TV remote to talk to
a serial port:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8811
and here is a 2004 article on writing your own USB driver to control a
specific USB device:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7353

Most information on direct hardware port interfaces will be from the
last millennium.  Here is a link to a 1998 article on parallel port
interfacing with examples in C:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2662

For the nasty low-level details on how to build electronic interfaces at
the wire level, look to electronic magazines - Circuit Cellar
(especially stuff from the 80's), and defunct magazines like Popular
Electronics, Radio-Electronics, and Byte. These had a lot of info in the
late 70's and early 80's.  Libraries probably have dead-tree archives of
these.  Also look to the amateur radio magazines, maybe Nuts & Volts,
and possibly Make. Also look for books on building robots.

Good luck on your projects!
Don