[OT] Upcoming vi, vim, and scripting classes

Bill Odom and I are teaching several classes over the next few weeks at
the Computer Room in Shiloh, IL, if any of you might be interested.  If
any of you who work in Linux/Unix-related fields could pass this around
your work, we'd sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.  :-)

- - - - - - - - - -

SCRIPTING FOR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS

Wednesday, December 8th - Friday, December 10th / 8:00am - 5:00pm each day

Understanding and applying the tools at your disposal can mean the difference
between tons of manual, error-prone work, or eliminating that work through
automation. Unix and Linux provide a rich set of such tools, but unfortunately,
many sysadmins don't have the programming background to exploit them.

In this class, we'll cover the programming techniques sysadmins need to do
their jobs faster and more effectively. We'll start with the shell, then expand
into tools like sed and awk, and finish with everyone's favorite Swiss Army
chainsaw, Perl. Along the way, we'll examine a large number of scripts that
solve real-world system administration problems.

If you're ready to take advantage of the powerful tools in the Unix toolbox,
this class is for you.

The price for this three-day class will be $999, with lunch included.

- - - - - - - - - -

VI BASICS

Monday, November 15th / 8:00am - 5:00pm

vi is the standard text editor on all Unix and Linux operating systems. It's a
wonderful tool that can make you amazingly productive and save you lots of
time, when you know how to use it. When you don't, it can be slow and painful
to use.

This class will hopefully take away the pain of using vi by teaching you basics
such as:

- How to tell what vi is doing and what it expects
- How to move around efficiently
- How to use search and replace

The price for this one-day class will be $299, with lunch included.

Contact sales@computerroom.us for more information or to sign up for the class.

(If you're interested in this class, you might also want to check out the Vim
Fandango class; see below.)

- - - - - - - - - -

VIM FANDANGO
Tools, Techniques, and Configuration for the Vim Text Editor

Tuesday, November 16th / 8:00am - 5:00pm

Vim deserves its reputation as one of the most powerful tools in an admin or
developer's toolbox -- but it's not exactly friendly and approachable. Even
long-time users rarely employ more than a fraction of its capabilities, and new
users are often left wondering why so many apparently-sane people won't shut up
about how awesome it is. The stark UI, the steep learning curve, the host of
idiosyncrasies... mastering Vim is a challenge, and that's putting it politely.

This class explains why it's worth the effort.

During this class, we'll see real-world examples of using Vim to perform
astounding feats that poor souls using lesser editors can only imagine. We'll
cover ways to integrate Vim with your environment, tailor it to your work, and
generally bend it to your every whim. We'll discuss important settings,
advanced techniques, useful customizations, handy scripts, must-have plugins,
crafty tips, and sneaky tricks. In short, we'll explore how to use Vim most
effectively, so it lives up to to the awesome reputation that you'll soon be
telling all your disbelieving friends about.

The price for this one-day class will be $299, with lunch included.

Contact sales@computerroom.us for more information or to sign up for the class.

- - - - - - - - - -

About the Trainers:

STEVEN PRITCHARD has nearly two decades of Linux and Unix experience.  A
dedicated Open Source advocate, he founded the Southern Illinois Linux Users
Group in 1994 and has been a volunteer developer with Red Hat’s Fedora Project
since it began in 2003. He is also an author of the award winning LPI Linux
Certification in a Nutshell, 2nd Ed (O'Reilly & Associates). Steven currently
offers his technical services through the Computer Room, a retail technical
sales and service company outside of St. Louis, Missouri.

BILL ODOM has over two decades of experience as a systems architect and
software developer, working on everything from wiki software for Internet
startups to global identity management solutions for Fortune 500 companies.
He's also a long-time member of the Open Source community, and served as
president of the Perl Foundation from 2005 through 2007.