Postfix LDAP relaying

I'm having some problems with Postfix. I'm trying to make it lookup email
addresses in a LDAP database, where it's not the final delivery machine
for an email address, but I want it to lookup that email address and
resolve it to the proper machine address

eg:

I send email via this server to joe@thedomain.com

The server looks up joe@domain.com and his actual address is joe@yahoo.com
and forwards it on.

- or -

I send an email via the server to judy@thedomain.com

The server does the lookup and discovers that the actual address is
judy@mailserver.thedomain.com

I already have the LDAP populated and in use by other machines, and it
looks like this

dn: uid=joe@thedomain.com,dc=thedomain,dc=com
uid: joe@thedomain.com
objectClass: top
objectClass: thedomainMail
structuralObjectClass: thedomainMail
thedomainMailDrop: joe@yahoo.com

so far if I setup mydestination as thedomain.com Postfix does the lookup,
but then attempts to deliver the mail to a local user. I can see it do the
first lookup OK, to check the user is in the LDAP database, and is a valid
user, which it does at the RCPT TO: stage, but then the second lookup
after the DATA command has been sent and terminated looks weird.

h.