Re: unixODBC failover

Cname handling is application-specific; your app gets all of the names and can either always use the first one, or rotate through them (or pick a random one). The DNS server can either always return them in the same order or rotate in various ways. Bind4 needed that rotation configured explicitly, while 8 had an option to not rotate, and 9 can be compiled to have the option to not rotate (the option is rrset-order). Just to put this on your specific environment even more. :)  It's how I distribute CFEngine load...

Either way, http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-proxy may be available as a package on your distro. It's on Ubuntu.

--Danny

Herbie <technowombat@yahoo.com> wrote:
Well, I'm waiting to hear back from the apps maker exactly what it does
when the server is unavailable. I know that the app itself does not handle
a failover server.

The multiple CNAME entry, or DNS round-robin, is only going to be useful
as a cheap load sharing device, rather than a failover, what I mean is,
that dependent on how your server caches hostnames, it will either show
Server A or Server B when queried, so the load will be applied between
both servers.

What I'm looking for is a more logical

Unless Server A is down, use Server A
else use Server B

where Server A should handle the load under normal circumstance, with
Server B only being used if Server A is unavailable.

This is the method used in pam_ldap and nss_ldap, and some other LDAP
based apps, I guess I was just surprised it wasn't that simple under
mySQL. So does anyone know some mySQL proxy software that will do this
assuming the manufacturer tells me their app tries the server more than
once?

h.