Re: Restricting Internet Access

I don't know of anything that does that, not because it doesn't exist,
just I haven't heard of it, but it sounds close enough to bits and pieces
that you could surely do it with a webserver, iptables and a bit of PHP.

All you'd need is have that machine sitting between the internal LAN and
the external router, the user has to surf to the webserver and correctly
authenticate, and that triggers a routine that pulls the users IP from the
environmental variables and drops it into iptables NAT'ing that address to
the outside router.

You'd have to have a cleanup routine that logs people off again after a
certain amount of time, maybe use the PHP session token time or
something, but I'm sure if you look at the login routine for
something like webmail, squirrelmail or whatever and a firewall script you
could cobble something together.

You'd be able to log whomever logged in and out, you could even track what
they were surfing to if you had enough disk space.

Or maybe there is an elegant solution out there, just waiting for someone
else to mention it ;)

h.