Mouse Problem

Dear Linux User Group,

    I am having a problem with my left mouse click not being recognized,
hover is detected, movement is detected, but left mouse click is not being
detected, and once that starts happening right mouse click becomes sketchy.

    I have researched this problem on the net, but being more of a user ,and
not much of a techie about linux I do not know much about the inner
workings.  Some have said it is a compiz problem, or it could be a metacity
problem, or a xorg problem, or a crashed driver problem.

     I can tell you it is not the mouse.  The mouse worked fine in Debian
Squeeze (Gnome 2.30), Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) thru Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid
Lynx), had a slight problem with Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat), and Ubuntu
11.04 (Natty Narwhal)...but Ubuntu 11.10 (Unity), Ubuntu 12.04, Debian 7(
Gnome 3, LXDE, Xfce), Debian 8, Mint 17.1 (Mate), and Puppy 6... all have
the same problem with the mouse.

     A local Linux user helped me get my mouse working properly in Ubuntu
10.10, and something about removing the Unity desktop drivers in Ubuntu
11.04 and putting Gnome 2.30 in as desktop manager.  He has since left the
area and our local LUG has disbanded (Peoria Linux User Group).

    I have tried to install Debian7 (Wheezy) from DVD, and from net install,
and a apt-get upgrade, but the mouse problem still occurs, so I tried Debian
8 (Jessie) Live, and within 20 minutes the same mouse problem happened.  I
even tried to install Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin (Unity)),  Debian 7
(Wheezy) on my Wife's computer, but the same problem persisted.

     I truly want to continue using Debian, but need serious help with this
mouse issue, could you please help.  I live in Peoria,IL, so travel to
Springfield would be kind of limited.

Thank you,

Evan James