Running Minecraft Servers

Has anyone out there got into this atall?

I'm coming at this with two clear objectives.

1. Prevent systems inside the house from being able to connect to public outside servers.
2. Create a server that the iOS version of Minecraft will run on.

So far, I'm failing on both counts. I almost got a handle on the older iOS PE (pocket edition) versions,  I blocked TCP ports 30000 25565 3074 in arno-iptables and I managed to get one of the two iPads to connect.

But my kid only plays the newer version now, v1.8.0 which has XBox Live in it, and I have no dang clue how to get a server to run with this, and how to block it.

All in all damn Apple, and damn Mojang, but I'm open to suggestions.

herbie.