Re: Email->Newsgroup program?

On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 05:10:13PM -0500, John Corey wrote:

> Has anyone used any gateway program to convert emails into newsgroups?
> I don't necessarily care as much about going the other way, posts go to
> the email list.

I've done it before, although it's been a while.

To gateway a mailing list to a newsgroup, all you need is an E-mail
alias set up to receive the mail.  Use a .forward (or alias entry, or
whatever) to pipe each received message to a script which posts the
message to the right newsgroup.

In a pinch, if you can't set up arbitrary E-mail aliases, you can
subscribe yourself and use procmail to pick out the list messages from
your other E-mail.  The disadvantages to this are that, depending on
your news config, all posts might be rewritten to look like they're
from you; also, if you ever mis-hack your procmail recipes, you could
get private E-mail posted to the group.