Re: Kernel compilation

Travis Davies wrote:

> OK, Im running RH Linux 5.2. im trying to upgrade to Kernel 2.2.10. I
> have rename the /usr/src/linux file with mv to another name. I unpacked
> the new source code
> and then went through make config. Then, make dep | make clean | and
> then compiled it with make zImage.
> It then put the new compressed kernel in arch/I386/boot directory.
>
> now heres the question. In order to boot the new kernel I need to boot
> it with lilo. How exactly is this done? last time, I rebooted my system
> and it wouldn't boot. What did I not do?
>
> Travis Davies

The easiest way is to open /etc/lilo.conf in your favorite editor.  Then
copy the three or four lines that reference your current kernel.  Rename
the kernel image name, and tag name with something different.  Then
save, exit, and run lilo.  If all goes well, you will be able to reboot
and enter that new tag name and boot away.