Re: Mailing List

charles@lunar.cc wrote:

> I have come across yet another problem in the land of linux.
>
> I have a mail list set up through /etc/aliases that is getting rather
> large. Almost 1200 addresses on the list. To make a long story short, the
> list is just not cutting it anymore. It seems like the list is longer than
> what aliases can handle, and no mail ends up being sent. Does anyone know
> if this *has* exceeded the max count?
>
> Also, to call this list a mail list is a bit of a misnomer. Really the
> list is more like an announce list used to let these users know of new
> events, but is not meant for them to be able to respond and reply to one
> another. Does majordomo or sympa allow you to set up a list that will
> allow individuals to subscribe, yet not post to the list?
>
> thanks
> cjm

I know the ZMailer MTA has built-in stuff to handle mail list
subscription and things.  Many of the KDE mail lists are maintained by
it, so it can handle a fairly large load.  (I found recently that if you
try to send around 80,000 messages at once it got flakey, but that was
already addressed on their mail list so just a patch or a newer version
fixed it.)  From the web page,
http://www.zmailer.org/zmanual/ADM.html#SECTION00056300000000000000 is
the section talking about the mail lists.  I don't see any mention of
not allowing people to post, but I suppose just setting up an alias so
anything addressed to thelist@whatever.com goes to /dev/null would
suffice.