Re: Meeting Agendas and Organization

Most of this stuff sounds good, and most of it has been tried in the past.
Organization, interest, content, etc. will all be more easily handled, if
we had more participants. Instead of just stating a list of topics one
wants to hear about, how about if we post some stuff we're interested in
*talking* about? Even if we had just one speaker per quarter, or one
person do a 15 minutes presentation per meeting, topics, interest,
content, etc etc will be much more easily acheived ;-)

As far as the person who was disinterested in the last meeting, I'm sorry
to hear that. However, I hope he [and you] remember that the last meeting
was supposed to be dedicated to Q&A, as much mail, mailing list, and
direct feedback from people (from Demo Day, etc) indicated they would
really like to have such a meeting. Only 2-3 questions were asked, so the
rest of the content was "winged". It was meant to be informal, and the
plan was to hopefully have people discuss (and volunteer) what they wanted
to discuss for upcoming meetings.

We need to remember, we're a special interest group. The only way to
guarantee success to have everyone's interest, is if everyone
participates. That doesn't necessarily mean that everyone has to be a
speaker, but a group is only as good as you make it. Suggestions are good,
participants even better.

I'm glad to see the feedback, and hope some of our new members take this
opportunity to post what they'd like to see, do, acheive, etc with the
group as well.

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Erich Schroeder wrote:

> Jason, and others...
>   I think that we have gotten to the point of needing more structure,
> particularly with the addition of the newer folks coming in to the group.
> By our November LUCI will be two years old. At the beginning the members,
> with the exception of Steve and Jeff and to a lesser degree me, were
> largely beginners. Now we have a wider base so we have work more on
> keeping people at both levels of experience happy and interested. I'm not
> unhappy with the meetings as they have been, but I can see that they (the
> meetings) might be a bit foggy to folks just coming into them.
>
> Some comments are interspersed in Jason's note:

> Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
> Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
> Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      Internet: erich@museum.state.il.us
> http://www.museum.state.il.us/ismdepts/anthro/staff/erich/erich.html
>
> On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Burke, Jason wrote:
>

> > Hey Steve,
> >
> > I'm going to take Kara's advice on this topic and post it
> > to the list instead of sending it to you directly. The following
> > are my suggestions for improving our meetings, and making
> > them more productive.
>
> Perhaps one problem will be to decide what "more productive" will mean. A
> long time ago Mark Blunier put together a list of topics that he wanted to
> see at that time (http://www.luci.org/luci-discuss/msg00013.html). Many of
> these are likely to still be of interest. Perhaps a poll of topics would
> be good, maybe voted for on the luci web site?
>
> > One of the main reasons for this is because I had a chance
> > to talk to someone who attended one of our meetings for the
> > first time last month (unfortunately I was sick otherwise I
> > would have been there as well), and, I'm sorry to say, his
> > comments were very negative. His main complaint was that
> > the meeting didn't seem to have much direction, and he
> > wasn't very interested in the topic at hand either.
>
> Sorry to hear that. Does suggest that something should be done.
>
> > Hot on the heels of this impromptu meeting was the article
> > on Linux.com by Deepak which talked about how to organize
> > your meetings better (which by the way was a fantastic
> > article, maybe Kara can dig it up for us and post it to the list).
>
> Yes, I'd like to see it, if that is possible.
>
> > I think it's time for us to start taking these factors into
> > consideration. Let's take our next meeting for example,
> > I remember reading in someone's post that we were
> > going to be talking about ALS which I'm all for, but do
> > we really need to take the whole two hours to talk about
> > ALS? And for the new people getting involved in the
> > group does that topic even have any meaning to them
> > at all?
> >
> > I would like to purpose that we start publishing our meeting
> > agenda on the web site, and that we cover two topics during
> > each session. Here's a visual on what I mean with the written
> [...]

- Kara

Kara Pritchard                        	Phone: 217-698-1694
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Linux Users of Central Illinois		kara@luci.org
LUG Project Manager - Linux.com		kara@linux.com