Re: Meeting Agendas and Organization

"Burke, Jason" wrote:
...things...

> As far as what people want to achieve, I can probably answer with
> some certainty that they probably don't know, and I think it's up
> to us (the more experienced Linux users) to help them discover
> what this operating system can do for them.

Personally, this is how I learned about linux.  I installed it at home, and
then started going to UIUC's LUG meetings.  Sure, a lot of the stuff was
over my head.  I noticed that the more I played at home, and the more I
went, the more I understood.  All the time I'd be doing something and
realize "hey - so that's what they were talking about".  Then I'd have some
background already, which made learning easier.  Of course, for that to
happen to others, we kinda have to talk about stuff, right?

> Also, I think that
> we need to come up with creative solutions for getting the
> information that we need back from the membership without
> putting them on the spot like we have so many times in the past.
> Perhaps instead of asking people at the meetings to tell us
> what they want or are interested in (which sometimes doesn't
> seem to accomplish what we want) we should pass around 3x5
> note cards and pencils and ask them to write down what they
> want for topics.

I'm going to vote agains the cards and pencils thing.  But since I seem to
go to the wrong building when I try to go to meetings, I guess that doesn't
count for much. :)  It does seem kinda weird to me though.  Does it have to
be a secret?  I don't know how to do it better though...

I'm personally kinda partial to the slashdot-like "vote for topics" page,
possibly combined with a "faq-o-matic" kind of thing, or some other way to
suggest topics and see if others are interested.  Not that it'd be easy to
vote/suggest in meetings, but, oh, I don't know.  Maybe just take the
titles from the how-to collections initially. :)

It might be cool to do some demographic-like studies fo the members, to
tell how they use linux in their job or at home, how they'd like to use it,
etc.  That way maybe it'd be easier to come up with topics the group would
benefit from?

Eh, I'll stop rambling.
--Danny