Re: corel

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999 charles@lunarmedia.net wrote:

> I just installed corel yesterday for the first time (thanks j!).
> I was really impressed. I think that this distro will do really good
> things for Linux on the desktop.

It was installed at the last luci meeting, and I agree.

 I havent tried out 6.1's new gui install
> though. Hopefully I will get a chance today.
> The only disappointment I see with corel is that its not rpm based.

Why are you disappointed when it is base on deb, which is better?
Debian is easier to upgrade and maintiain due to its dependencies,
predepends, recommended, and suggestions for the related packages,
post-install scripts, and purge-scripts for deleting packages cleanly.

> I am
> assuming that th erpm database and the dpkg db don't communicate, so is
> rpm just included with corel for additional software, rather than
> upgrades?

There is a program call alien that allows rpm files to be installed on
a debian system.  While this is normally not a good idea, as debian
has almost every package that red hat has available.
,  it is useful for installing packages such as star office, that were
only released in an rpm format.

Mark Blunier