Re: dselect

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 08:33:44AM -0600, charles@lunarmedia.net wrote:

> rpm -Uvh is my general choice on redhat to upgrade a package. Is there a
> corresponding equal within the debian disto?

If you've got the package file there in front of you:

  dpkg -i <package file>

If you know the package name, and want to download and install it and
all dependencies:

  apt-get install <package>

The latter command will work with the standard Debian archives; if you
want to use other package repositories, you'll need to add them to
/etc/apt/sources.list.  The repository should have some documentation
on how to do that (either in the repository announcement or a Web page
of some kind).