Re: pine.deb?

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 10:57:35AM -0600, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> Jeff Licquia said:
> > The legal hassles with pine has motivated some people to write a free
> > clone.
>
> *Another* text-based MUA?
>
> *shudder*

Heh. :-)

There was a large contingent of people on debian-devel whose answer to
this problem was "use mutt".  Evidently, this isn't feasible to some
groups.  One person ran a freenet, and pine evidently has a lot of
nice security features they rely on because they don't give users
shell accounts.  The other argument was that the user interface of
pine was too well entrenched, and retraining people to use mutt (or
elm, or whatever) would be too difficult.

I think the hope is that this new product would eventually replace
pine, so our text-based MUA count would remain the same for all
intents and purposes.

Personally, none of this really matters; I use mutt, and I don't even
install pine on systems anymore.  Whenever I can, I encourage people
to switch.  The sooner pine is eliminated, the better, IMHO.