RE: DeCSS Injunction

This was a _federal_ court that granted the injunction, and if the
court decides that reverse-engineering (regardless of what DMCA
states) is illegal then the Linux community is in for a long, bumpy
ride to reverse that decision. The California state court decision only
affects the residents of that state, while this decision affects us all.

Unfortunately, our government has proven that it's more willing to
listen to business interests than it is to listen to it's own citizens
(after all citizens don't make million dollar compaign contributions).
If things like this are allowed to go unchallenged then I guarentee
you we'll lose much more than the right to reverse-engineer
software. Imagine, if you will, such things as interface patents,
cease-and-desist programming orders, trade secret law, and
intellectual property police. These things are not too far off from
what I can see in the industry today.

Also, if DeCSS is demed illegal then what do you think will happen
to software that uses it (such as LiViD)? I'm sure the courts won't
see much difference between the two. The "They can't stop it." argument
also doesn't hold much water either because the resulting disaster will
make life on the Internet practialy unbearable should they every really
put their mind to trying. I would prefer not to try and fall back on that
as a defense.

Here's some more links for those interested:

http://www.eff.org/ip/Video/MPAA_DVD_cases/20000120_eff_press_release.html
http://www.eff.org/ip/Video/MPAA_DVD_cases/20000120_pi_order.html
www.hackernews.com