Re: netscape bookmarks

Erving Blake wrote:

> >Or you could set up a roaming access server and keep them in sync...
> >

> OK!!! Give... I have tried to set up a roaming access server using LDAP
> for several months (off and on).. And have gotten NOWHERE... Do we
> have to wring the info out of you? Fess up and post the settings and
> programs you used...

Well, I'm currently running roxen challenger as my web server
(www.roxen.com) 'cause RXML is neat.  To set it up with that web platform:
	add a filesystem module for the directory you want stuff in (I use
/home/roam)
	set up authentication to that directory with an "allow user=sauer, eblake,
bill" 			kind-of-thing
	Allow put and move access to authenticated users only
	Tell roxen to access the files as the logged-in user
	make directories below /home/roam for those users (/home/roam/sauer)
	mount it somewhere (/roam)
	tell netscape to use http://www.cloudmaster.com/roam/sauer for the roaming
		directory.

Previously, I had it set up with apache.  The steps are similar, except you
need to get the module from here http://www.klomp.org/mod_roaming/ (it
essentially adds the PUT and MOVE methods).  There's a readme in the
tarball, but you pretty much compile it, install it, and add something like
this to your httpd.conf
	LoadModule roaming_module		/usr/libexec/apache/mod_roaming.so
	RoamingAlias	/roam	/home/roam
	<Location "/roam">
		Options Indexes
		AuthUserFile	/usr/local/apache/etc/roaming-passwd
		AuthType Basic
		AuthName "Roaming Access"
		require valid-user
	</Location>

After that, you just make /home/roam writable by apache (mine was mode 750,
wwwrun.wwwadmin) and point netscape to the same place as with the other web
servers (http://server.site/roam/$username) and it'll make the directories
for you (I think).

I never did get it running with LDAP, but then, I didn't try either.  If
you use it, you'll sometimes notice that the windows and linux (*nix, I
guess) bookmarks will get out of sync.  That's a result of windows being
stupid as dirt (AKA using .htm for the file extension), while everything
else uses .html for the bookmarks file.  You could create a link from one
to the other in the roaming directory if you think you'll be doing any
cross-platform syncing...

I was using the apache setup for close to a year before I switched to using
roxen a few weeks ago.  I haven't had any problems with either yet.

Hope that helps...
--Danny