Re: Please help me get Linux started !!

On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 10:24:29AM -0600, Ron Zumwalt wrote:

> I met you at the event you had at Best Buy.  I signed up for your
> newsletter and bought Red Hat 6.1 that day.  I have installed it and
> can't seem to get it started.  When I turn on my laptop it goest
> through everything then gets to the logon and password but I can't
> get past that.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  My e-mail is
> ronz@hansoninfosys.com or my pager is 252-2546.

Hey, great to hear you're trying it out!

When you installed your Linux system, it should have asked you for a
password for "root" (this is the system administration account), and
should also have asked you about a regular username and password for
regular use.

When it asks you for a "login:", it's asking for this information
before it lets you on.  You should be able to use one of two logins:

login: root
Password: <the root password you picked when you installed>

or:

login: <the username you picked when you installed>
Password: <the password you picked for this user when you installed>

Do either of these work?

[I'm CCing the luci-discuss mailing list.  They might be able to give
you some more help as well.  For more information about the mailing
list, visit our Web site at www.luci.org.]