Re: And now for something completely different...

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 02:33:50PM -0500, Burke, Jason wrote:

> Okay, I'm burining those CDs tonight, and I wanted
> to get some feedback from any LUCI people before
> I made a final decision (particularly from Steve and
> Jeff). I ended up with 50 cd-r's that can hold up to
> 650 megs, but it looks like I won't be able to burn
> RedHat 6.2 (or 6.1 for that matter) to them because
> it appears as if the iso image won't fit on the 650M
> disk (can anyone confirm or deny this?). Anyway,
> my second choice is to send Debian (for numerous
> reasons), and I was wondering if anyone (Jeff) thought
> that the disk that comes with the Debian box set
> would be okay to send (instead of the 2 cd set). Or
> does anyone else have suggestions for a different
> distro that will fit on a 650M cdr?

It should be OK.  I've used that to build quite a few boxes, with
satisfactory results.  You won't have any legal problems; the disk
ships with only DFSG-compliant software on it.

The only question I might have is whether you'll have a decent
desktop; I can't remember offhand if October GNOME ships on that.  If
not, the GNOME stuff in slink really sucks.  Window Maker should be
fine, as well as all of the other usual suspects (besides KDE, for
obvious reasons).  You can tell if October GNOME is there by looking
for one of the GNOME packages, say gnome-core; if the version number
is something like 1.0.50, you're on October GNOME.

If you weren't in a hurry and you cared, I could look into slapping a
custom image together that contained the slink-and-a-half stuff plus
October GNOME, assuming it's not on there.  Or, you could ship
directions for updating GNOME for slink from the Internet after
install.

E-mail me if you have any more questions, or if you want me to check
anything or try to make a custom image.  I could have it to you
Tuesday, or we could exploit some of those high-bandwidth connections
to get it to each other quicker if necessary.