Re: Broadband

I've been following this thread all day and decided that I should
throw my two cents into the ring.

I experimented with FGI's cable internet when it first rolled out in
Sherman.  It was awesome for a while, but as more users hooked onto
the system, the bandwidth dropped to near dial-up levels.  That was
not however why I chose not to pay for the service after the free
beta.  The reason I went back to dial-up was that the system was
inherently anti-linux and unsecure.  FGI uses MSProxy to give Internet
across the cable private LAN which prohibits anyone other than Windows
users to use the system.  Security was also lacking as they required
you to be on the network neighborhood for the private LAN.  In the
beta period alone, several script kiddies started exploiting Window's
poor smb security.

Recently we have been receiving an influx of ex FGI cable users at bullets.net
because there is no longer a decent speed to price ratio.  In my
opinion, cable companies haven't really thought out their internet
services. Maybe someday GTE will get bought out and Sherman will get
DSL service, but until then we'll just be envious of Springfield.
--
Benjamin Story
bstory@bullets.net