Re: Quantum Tape Backup

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Adam Van Pelt wrote:

I'm bored so I'm logged onto this box so as to get the mail the moment it
comes. I need to find something useful to do. 8-)

> Group,
>  I have a machine with Red Hat 6.1 on it with a SCSI Quantum Tape Backup
> drive, and I'm wondering -- what sort of front-end do I need (if any) in
> order to regulate the backup process? Thank you for any help you can
> provide.

As to your question, I think tar will do it. I haven't ever used tape with
Linux (I use Iomega Zip Disks for backup) but I think all you will have to
do is give tar the proper prameters for your drive (man tar) and it should
work (Somebody who has actually done this correct me if I am wrong).

Actually, TAR is an acronym for Tape ARchive. The -f parameter has always
seemed to me to be a hack to make tar useful for more than just tape
backup.

Jordan Bettis.
 "Damn it! Somebody spiked my coffee with water"  --Larry Wall