Re: The lowdown on ADSL

Jordan Bettis wrote:

> I called davesworld as I said I would, and they put my fears to
> rest. First of all, they said that they would *not* be using PPPoE, so
> all of the issues surrounding that are moot. The guy sounded pretty honest
> about that and I did not lead on that I did not like PPPoE, I think he is
> telling the truth.
>
> I asked him if they used a data bus topo like cable or if they use
> star. He seemed a little confused by the question at first, (he thought
> that I was asking if they used the cable company's hardware) when he
> figured out what I was asking, he said that they pull every line back to
> their hardware individually where they dump them on optic lines (he
> stressed that they would be optic) to Bloomingon where they are routed to
> the internet. I asked him what their internet connection was and he said
> that he couldn't tell me because it was proprietary but he later said
> "multiple T-3s".
>
> He said that they used Alcotel (phon) bridges (one could get a cisco
> bridge if they wanted) and they cost $100 (billed to the customer) other
> than that, installation is free if one registers before May 1, $250 after
> that (if they don't extend the deal, he acted as if they might).
>
> I asked about Static IP, he asked what I would used it for, I said Telnet,
> Finger, SMTP, and UNIX Talk (the usual suspects (-8 ). I was a bit
> suprised he didn't flinch at SMTP as they charge a pretty penny for more
> POP accounts, but he said "It could most likely be arranged but it would
> cost $10 extra a month"(1). I know he was ready to pounce if I said
> "HTTP" so I didn't, I don't plan to use it anyhow.
>
> He then confided that the IP won't change much at all. He said only if I
> shut down my computer (my 486 Masq proxy? not hardly) or they reboot the
> router, he said that they would not do that too often.

Yes, for some reason they say that, but it does change rather often.  My
brother has their DSL in Bloomington, and it's chaotic.  You can have
one IP for a week or two, then have 4 or 5 the next week.  Up here
(around Peoria) there are a couple DSP ISPs that just do static IPs by
default (and AT&T does that as well).  See if there is anyone else able
to offer DSL before going to them.

> All in all, it sounds almost too good to be true, but he acted like he
> knew what he was talking about and that he was answering truthfully so I
> believe him. I still need to get more information on cable (actually, just
> the cost) but at this point in time I'm strongly leaning towards DSL
> through Davesworld.

AT&T just started rolling cable modems December/January.  From a couple
people that have had them, they're pissed.  They tell me how they go
down too often, etc, but the bandwidth is nice when it is up.  I've read
several personal web pages and such about cable rollouts and they always
say how it's bumpy for the first year or so.  So I guess, beware...

I just happen to live in the one town in this area that doesn't have DSL
or Cable.  As if that wasn't enough, GTE is kind enough to have crappy
phone lines, so my modem locks up a lot. :)  Their position on coming
out and testing my lines, "If you pick up the phone and can dial out,
there's nothing more we can do."