Re: dns refresh

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Cloudmaster wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Charles Menzes wrote:
> > i recently made a change in my dns zone files that is seeming to take an
> > eternity to refresh in nameservers.
> > i set my refresh to a very low setting. Should the expire or ttl have to
> > do with a more rapid update?
>
> Yes.  ttl is what you want to decrease for more frequent updates from your
> master server.  However, remote DNS's will not cache the data as long
> (obviously), resulting in more hits on your master.
>
> expire tels how long a secondary server can go without contacting a master
> server (in seconds) before it will expire its data and stop responding for
> that domain.  Thus, it's not what you want.

I feel I should add that "refresh", like expire, seems to only apply to
secondaries.  Also, for secondaries that handle multiple domains, there used
to be (and I guess still is) a compiled-in 15 minute delay between
transfers, so refresh appearently is just a reccomendation - kinda like the
stop button in IE/netscape.  It sees that the button was pushed, but it
won't actually do it until it darn well feels like it. :)

--Danny, who should've consulted his O'Reily library the first time :)