compiling for non-factory

I want to compile some programs for libc5 for use on a bootdisk, so I don't
have to have "mega libc6" taking up 2/3 of the space on my disk.  I don't
know how to do that, and I'm too lazy to look through the man pages for the
compliation tools when I could prolly just ask on a maililng list. :)

If anyone's got a way to shrink down libc.so.6, that'd be cool too.  Even
after stripping, however, mine ends up at 962+K / 375 after "gzip -n9".  I
guess that leaves me with 1036-375, uhh, 661K to fit some utilities into,
but my libc5 ends up at just 238K.  That's 140K I can put neat stuff into,
like busybox (which was recently updated to include a shell, for those who
don't pay attention). :)

Anyway, thanks for the help.
--Danny