Re: compiling for non-factory

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> Cloudmaster said:
> > If anyone's got a way to shrink down libc.so.6, that'd be cool too.
>
> strip /lib/libc-*.so
>
> I don't know how well it works with glibc 2.1, but with glibc 2.0 it
> made a *huge* difference in the size of the binary (and it still
> worked fine afterwards).

Well, that's kinda how I got the "stripped" size in my original message...
:)  I was actually wondering about weird stuff to try with compiler options
and what have you when I'm compiling glibc.  I thought maybe someone may
have played with different optimization levels and the like and know off the
top of their head if any specific flags would result in saving a few hundred
K or so.

But yeah, stipping does make a real darn big difference in the size of both
of the libc's.

--Danny