Re: scsi emulation (yes, again)

Charles Menzes wrote:

> > So you have IDE-SCSI compiled in or modularized?  Looking at your module
> > list, there's no CD-ROM driver and you say you have SCSI ooptions
> > modularized.  Did you compile IDE-CD or SCSI-CD into the kernel?  Hopefully
> > not, so all you'll need to do is "modprobe sr_mod" (I think) for the CD
> > drive to show up (as /dev/sr0 or /dev/scd0, whichever).  You'll also want to
> > "rmmod ide-cd" if it shows up in a lsmod.
> >

>  Here is how my kernel looks:
>
> Block devices  --->
> <*>    Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support
> <M>    SCSI emulation support
>
> SCSI support  --->
> <M> SCSI support
> <M> SCSI CD-ROM support
> <M> SCSI generic support
>
> Old CD-ROM drivers (not SCSI, not IDE)  --->
> [*] Support non-SCSI/IDE/ATAPI CDROM drives
>
>  This is the way it should be for the burner to work right?

Try modularizing the IDE CD-ROM support too.  As it is now, I think the
cdrom is being assigned to the IDE device, so it can't also be treated as a
SCSI device.  I'm sure there's a more technically correct way to have put
that - but it's not coming to me right now. :)

> > > one thing that does bother me is that on boot, i see a good deal of errors
> > > relating to unresolved symbols when the machine goes to look for kernel
>
>         I am still confused about why i am seeing the unresolved symbols
>         errors showing up on boot. i am doing a standard make dep make
>         bzlilo make modules make modules_install, and I am not seeing
>         any errors when each of these run. so the unresolved symbols
>         is seeming like black magic to me right now.

Does something like "depmod -a" help?  I like to randomly throw commands at
a problem until it goes away when I don't know what the real problem is.
:)  You might have something in /etc/modules.conf (or conf.modules) that's
telling the system to look in the wrong place for the modules, or for some
other reason be trying to load modules built for a different kernel.

--Danny