Re: kernel panic

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Charles Menzes wrote:

> the kernel i am currently booting my machine on is having kernel panic
> after i added that last patch :)
>
> i do not have an alternative kernel to boot from on the hard drive.
> i would like to boot off an alternate kernel from floppy, build a new
> kernel from within /usr/src/linux, and move it into /boot so that I can
> then reboot safely.
>
> is there a way to make a boot disk from the original red hat cd? once i
> have done so, how should i go about recovering a safe kernel?

I don't really have an answer to your question, but there is a trick which
(had you used it) you would not now be in this situation.

When you put your new kernel into /boot as vmlinuz* change your old
vmlinuz to vmold (or whatever you prefer) then make an entry in
/etc/lilo.conf for it like

image = /boot/vmold
  label = old
  initrd = /boot/[initrd]
  root = /dev/[hard drive partition]

If you have Red Hat, you can just use linuxconf as I usually do.

Then, if yor new kernel dosen't work, simply type 'old' at your lilo
prompt to boot your old kernel.

Jordan Bettis.
 "Damn it! Somebody spiked my coffee with water"  --Larry Wall