Re: RedHat for SPARC

I was the one. I bought a copy from www.cheapbytes.com, and with shipping
it came to 9.99 (more than half shipping). It is just a burned copy of the
download version, but I had been having problems with some getting the
Sparc 20 to deal with things, particularly without a recent sun-ok cdrom
drive. The redhat 5.2 install allowed choosing non-anonymous ftp, the
redhat 6.2 only allows anonymous ftp, so I copied the cd into the
/home/ftp/pub area of one of our servers (just internal) and the install
went like a flash from there. Oh, I had previously worked out the network
boot via bootp-tftp following the instructions on the disk.

By the way, tomorrow I go to ruin the uptime on another sparc which serves
Dickson Mounds Museum:

[erich@ishtar erich]$ uptime
  9:31pm  up 320 days,  5:17,  1 user,  load average: 0.15, 0.03, 0.01
[erich@ishtar erich]$

I know, I should let it go another 45 days, but this is a window of my
free time, and I'm going to move it from RH 5.2 to 6.2.

All hail ishtar, tomorrow she'll be born again.

eks

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Tim Grossner wrote:

> Someone gave me an email with a cheap place to buy RH for Sparc. Can
> whoever did this do it again? OR if anyone has a copy of it i can get
> ahold of quickly, speak up!
>
> Thanks,
>

> Tim Grossner
> Network Engineer        CCNA, MCP, A+
> SACWIS Project
> Getronics
> voice - 217-747-7310
> pager - 800-681-4943
> cell - 217-971-0506
> data - timothy.grossner@getronics.com tg@cityscape.net
>

> --

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      Internet: erich@museum.state.il.us
http://www.museum.state.il.us/