Re: kernel panic

Previousl Cloudmaster (sauer@cloudmaster.com):

> On Tue, 16 May 2000, Jordan Bettis wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 May 2000, Charles Menzes wrote:
> > > i am still really in the need of figuring out a way to boot, and get a
> > > workable kernel into my /boot. using what was suggested before, typing
> [...]
>
> > If you have another Linux box sitting around, you could drop your hard
> > drive into it's slave IDE slot (plug?) and then edit your /boot and
> > /etc/lilo.conf from there, perhaps replacing the troubled vmlinuz with
> > it's (the working box's) vmlinuz. Then drop it back into the box that
> > isn't working and see what happens there. Of course, you won't be able to
> > run lilo on it but if you name the new kernel the same thing you named the
> > last kernel, lilo shouldn't have any trouble finding it.
> [...]
>
> Couldn't you just "chroot /mnt lilo", or use "lilo -r /mnt" (they do the
> same thing, I think)?

Couldn't you
1) boot using something like toms boot disk, (or better yet, your rescue disk)
2) mount the root file system on /mnt.
3) Copy the new kernel to /mnt/ or /mnt/boot depending on your tastes.
4) modify your /mnt/etc/lilo.com to have your image point to /mnt/vmlinuz or
as appropriate.
5) run lilo

Lilo has to have the linux disk mounted for it to find the kernel, and the
location of the kernel in the /etc/lilo points to where its at when lilo is
run, not when its booted.

Mark, not sure of what you are trying to do.