Re: GNOME 1.2

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 01:02:04PM -0500, bob davenport wrote:

> Can someone tell me if there is an advantage to using GNOME versus KDE?
> Thanks Bob.

There's a flamewar and a half!

Outside of "religious" overtones, not really.  It's a matter of
preference.  KDE is a bit more polished, but the legal status of
distributing KDE is still a bit of a mess, adn they tend to be a bit
overfond (in my opinion) of Windows-isms.  GNOME is more cutting-edge,
but not quite as polished.

The best answer is "use whatever your distribution gives you" if
you're not up to installing lots of stuff.  The Helix GNOME installer
looks very cool (and they've made an apt repository as an alternative
for Debianites), but it may not be as smooth yet as noe might like
(it's a new product).