Re: Personal Bookmarks in NN

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 03:28:03PM -0500, Charles Menzes wrote:
> Everytime I delete my personal bookmarks folder which seems to be a
> default within NN, it returns the next time I launch the app.
> Is there a way to get rid of them once and for all?

On my system the default bookmarks file is in /opt/netscape/bookmarks.html

rpm -ql netscape | grep bookmark

If you're talking about the personal toolbar folder, I guess I'll have to resort
to the magic of "strings" and "grep"...

Looks like there are several configurable options in there, including
 pref("custtoolbar.personal_toolbar_folder", "Personal Toolbar Folder");
 pref("custtoolbar.Browser.Personal_Toolbar.position", 2);
 pref("custtoolbar.Browser.Personal_Toolbar.showing", true);
 pref("custtoolbar.Browser.Personal_Toolbar.open", true);

So, let's play around with liprefs.js...

OK, so, what I did:

I closed netscape
I opened up liprefs.js and added 3 lines:
	user_pref("custtoolbar.Browser.Personal_Toolbar.showing", false);
	user_pref("custtoolbar.Browser.Personal_Toolbar.open", false);
Then I did the same for prefs.js
After that, I opened up netscape.  After exclaiming "I rock" several times, I
remembered to go to "edit bookmarks" and delete the personal toolbar folder
too.

Then I was pissed because I found out that it's still recreating the folder.  So I added this too:
 user_pref("custtoolbar.has_toolbar_folder", false);
 user_pref("custtoolbar.personal_toolbar_folder", "");
 user_pref("personal_toolbar.CreateNewToolbar", false);
after deleting the personal toolbar folder and then shutting down netscape.
Now, it appears that the third line there is deleted later, but netscape no
longer creates that toolbar.  I wonder if that's because it's a "config"
entity in the binary rather than a "prefs" entry...  Oh well.

*I* thought it was neat.  I'm proud of myself.  I prolly could have saved some time searching with google, but this was more fun.  I hope it works for you.

--Danny