do I ever stop asking about LDAP?

Does anyone know offhand how hard it is to have a program get notified
every time an LDAP entry is changed?  Specifically the "userpassword"
field?  I want a daemon or something running on the same machine as the
LDAP server that will detect when a userpassword entry has changed, and
then copy that passwd into the /etc/shadow file.  Running a check every
few minutes for new passwords would kinda work, but I'd rather not do it
that way...

What about using the replog file that slurpd uses?  Is that gonna be
feasible?  Maybe if I used a named pipe as the replog, and my daemon
could process what it reads, then write to a real replog.  Slurpd could
then be started with the -r option to read from this new replog.  Does
that sound valid, or am I asking in a totally wrong place? :)

--Danny, who needs to get on the openldap mailing list sometime