Re: ping -c

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 09:08:42AM -0500, Charles Menzes wrote:
> I am issueing a ping -c and trying to > the result to a regular text file.
> reading the ping man page:
>
>      -c count
>              Stop after sending (and receiving) exactly count ECHO_RESPONSE
>              packets. The special case of no packet received after count pack
>              ets are sent causes termination also (the remote host or gateway
>              is unreachable).
>

> it seems like the ping should stop after N responses, or lack of
>
> 	ping -c 3 host
>
> and host is unreachable, the echo requests still continue. why is this?

I think your ping is broken, or you're not patient enough. :)  It takes a
while...

 sauer@pyro:~ > time ping -c 3 192.168.0.15
 PING 192.168.0.15 (192.168.0.15): 56 data bytes
 --- 192.168.0.15 ping statistics ---

 real    0m11.998s
 user    0m0.000s
 sys     0m0.020s

I tried the -t and -i options, hoping to speed it up some, but it seems
to require a time-out for each ping request sent, and it won't let me
specify a delay of under 1 second (the default).  Firing up ethereal on
the loopback device grabs 6 ICMP unreachables.  Oh, and just for reference:

 sauer@pyro:~ > rpm -qv `rpm -qf \`which ping\``
 nkitb-2000.3.2-3

--Danny, "Mmmm, nested backticks..."