Re: Laptops

I actually have a ProStar. It's the 8920 model (I think). It has a 15"
display (active), 128mb RAM, 466mhz celeron, 6.4GB hd, etc, and everything
on it, including the sound works natively with linux. It was very
affordable new (bought it 1.25 years ago for about 2.1k with ALL the
peripherals (modem, network, docking station that I never use). Comparable
name brand models were going for 4k.

I bought mine from www.imperialdirect.com. My sales contact was Mike
Sacks, mikes@imperialdirect.com. Only thing I've had happen to this laptop
so far, was I was working on my book, and typing so much (with sweaty
fingers) started to wear the letters off a couple keys. They sent me
another one in a couple days. Not a problem since, and we use this often.

I'll recommend this laptop to anyone, same for this sales guy. I've
referred several people to him, in fact.

Other than that, I don't have a preference... Sony vaio's are really cool
(and work) but are easily broken. Well, the thin thin versions anyhow. The
full size laptops are good, but expensive.

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Leon Jackson wrote:

> I'm going to be purchasing a used laptop in the next few months.
> If anyone has had great success running linux on one, which brand/model would they suggest?
>
> Leon

- Kara

Kara Pritchard, RHCE                    Phone: 618-398-7360
Linux Users of Central Illinois	        kara@luci.org
Asst Dir for Program Development        kara@lpi.org
Author, RHCE Exam Cram                  kara@linux.com