kernel compile problems

When I do a make boot on kernel 2.2.16 it aborts prematurely with this
output:

bjcopy -O binary -R .note -R .comment -S compressed/vmlinux
compressed/vmlinux.out
tools/build bootsect setup compressed/vmlinux.out CURRENT > zImage
Root device is (3, 5)
Boot sector 512 bytes.
Setup is 3432 bytes.
System is 619 kB
System is too big. Try using bzImage or modules.
make[1]: *** [zImage] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [boot] Error 2
[root@bettis linux]#

It looks like it is trying to put a boot image that is too big for my boot
sector in it. I have no idea where it would get a boot image of 619kb,
that's enormous! I would think that would be how big my entire kernel is,
not the boot image. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks,

Jordan Bettis.
 "[the Word] Piracy: A wonderful piece of propaganda." -- Richard Stallman