Re: recovery from rm -rf?

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> Charles Menzes said:
> > no its not a joke. is there any recovery from this except restoring from
> > backup?
>
> Nope.
>
> If you take the disk off-line (kill power to it) *immediately* so that
> nothing is sync'd to disk yet, you might have a prayer of
> reconstructing things by hand, that is assuming you knew how (and I
> doubt there are more than a handful of people in the world who would
> know how).

I've been on vacation for the last ten days and am catching up on my
mail. There was just a very good article in last linux mag to do just
that. I can't find my copy at the moment so I can't give you much hard
information except that there are utilites that automatically recover
files by asking you as much information as possible about it like "the
file was at least what size?" then dumps all files into the lost+found
that match the criteria.

I keep thinking it was called 'recover' I'm sure you can find it on
freshmeat without too much work.

Anyhow, it's most likely academic as the i-nodes are long gone if you
didn't unmount the file system immedently (i-nodes are a scarce resource, so
they are reused constantly).

Jordan Bettis.
 "[the Word] Piracy: A wonderful piece of propaganda." -- Richard Stallman