Re: Removing Files and Subdirectories

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, joe bonansinga wrote:

> This may be a simple question, but I am still a newbie. What is the correct
[snippage]

Your question has already been answered, but in the future, try using the
man command, with the name of the utility you are trying to use as an
argument,

$ man rm

yields (truncated for brevity)

. . .
OPTIONS
       Remove (unlink) the FILE(s).

       -d, --directory
              unlink  directory,  even  if  non-empty (super-user
              only)

       -f, --force
              ignore nonexistent files, never prompt

       -i, --interactive
              prompt before any removal

       -r, -R, --recursive
              remove the contents of directories recursively
. . .

man pages were a bitch for me when I was just starting with Unix, but
after you get past their cryptic syntax, they become an invaluable tool.

Jordan Bettis.
"Probably the best operating system in the world is the [operating system]
 made for the PDP-11 by Bell Laboratories." - Ted Nelson, October 1977