Re: terminals and telnet

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 08:44:24PM -0500, Mark Blunier wrote:
> Previously Joe Bonansinga (bonansinga@admworld.com):
>
> > When I telnet to a my remote digital box, I get the following error when
> > opening a program such as emacs:
> >
> > Xlib: connection to "xxx.xxxxxx.com:0.0" refused by server
> > Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> > Error: Can't open display: xxx.xxxxxx.com:0
> >
> > where xxx.xxxxxx is the name of my server.
>
> When you run emacs on the remote terminal, it is trying to display
> a new window on your Linux box.  Before you telnet to the digital
> box, try
> xhost + <digital box name or ip #>
> this lets anyone on the digital box display stuff on your x display.
> xhost +
> lets anyone display stuff on your x display.

Actually, xhost +<ip> lets anyone display stuff on your X display too;
it just takes a little more work. :-)

In the case of the Emacsen, you'll do just as well doing something
like "unset DISPLAY"; you'll then get XEmacs in text mode.

If you really want to do remote GUI apps, I'd suggest looking into
getting ssh for the Digital box.