Re: Unused memory addresses?

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Jeff Licquia wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 09:03:20PM -0400, Jordan Bettis wrote:
> >
> > Is there a valid memory address (ie, within the range usable by the
> > address bus) that is never used, such as 0?
>
> Not that I know of.  What are you trying to do?

I was hoping that there would be a way that I could initialize a pointer to
point to a bogus address, so I would know if that pointer was supposed to
point to something interesting or not (ie, if it had not yet been
initialized).

It would have to be something that would work 100% of the time, regardless
of the application, so pointing to an address that would be unlikely to be
used for any given application would not work.

Jordan Bettis.
"Probably the best operating system in the world is the [operating system]
 made for the PDP-11 by Bell Laboratories." - Ted Nelson, October 1977