Re: tulip problems

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> Jordan Bettis said:
> > does anyone know what my problem is?
>
> I don't think you ever really said *what* the problem was...

The problem is that tulip is loaded, yet eth0 had no entry in
/proc/interrupts, and it has an invalid entry in /proc/ioports
(see the output I posted in the last message)

> Just for reference, there are basically four options for tulip-based
> cards right now.  The kernel has three different drivers that might or
> might not work: tulip, old_tulip, and de4x5.  If none of those work,

None of those work, they all fail to load, returning a 'device or resource
busy' message,  as stated in my previous message, I am using the
latest driver available from scyld.com (Don Becker's site)
[snip]

Some additional notes, /proc/pci reports:

    Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 17).
      Vendor id=1317. Device id=985.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 5.  Master
Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=255.Max Lat=255.
      I/O at 0x1000 [0x1001].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4000000 [0xf4000000].
  Bus  1, device   0, function  0:

nether IRQ 5 or ports 0x1000-0x1001 are in use according to
/proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports.

Another thing, I do have 'alias eth0 tulip' in my /etc/conf.modules, to
head off that question.

Jordan Bettis.
"Probably the best operating system in the world is the [operating system]
 made for the PDP-11 by Bell Laboratories." - Ted Nelson, October 1977