Re: UNIX mail defaults

> I guess what I meant was, can you set this value in
> Sendmail and if so where.

Sendmail is an MTA (transport agent), so it doesn't give a %$&# what
happens to the email after it's delivered. In fact, Sendmail doesn't even
do the actual delivery, which is left to "deliver" or procmail, amongst
others.

Most email is simply appended to a file, such as "rthreet", in the
/var/spool/mail directory. To delete an email in the middle, the file must
be rewritten. This is usually accomplished by an MUA (user agent) such as
Pine, or else by the POP3 program that retrieves mail for remote readers.

It is super unlikely that your system trashed any one email in particular.
Either they'd all be gone, or else this user has accidentally deleted it
(as you suspected). Of course, they are blaming you because of either
their own incompetence, or else their shame, because they know they're
guilty & they want to shift the blame, thereby making you look bad in
front of the boss. This is why end users are often known as "lusers".

-J