UNIX vs. Unix

This has been bothering me for a while now,

I was just wondering why some people write Unix as Unix, and others
write UNIX?  I have seen many times that authors use both even in the
same paragraph.  I was looking through some O'Reilly books, and they
seem to use UNIX.  Why is the case different and which one is
appropriate to use?  I also was wondering what to appropriate plural
usage of UNIX is, is it Unices or Unixes?

Thanks for helping to clear up confusion,

Ryan