Re: Services under RH7

tim-
issue 'runlevel' and see which you are you running at

[~] Yes, my master? >runlevel
N 5

the number to the right should be your current runlevel.
cd to /etc/rcX.d where X is your current runlevel.
in this directory, will be the init scripts for most of the services
installed on your machine. i think redhat typically sets named to

K45named

if you mv this file to S45named, it will start up with each reload of the
machine. to start it now without rebooting, just issue

./S45named start

the script is really just a shell script with case/esac statements which
run named, ndc restart etc.. depending on the arguments. generally they
also have a

./S45named status

option as well so that you can view whats going on with the service.