Re: retiring e-mail revisited

> Ethical Question
> ================
> Q: Is it okay for me, the sender, to "expire" (that
> is, "delete") this message from their /var/spool/mail
> directory?

I'm sure you'll catch hell if you ever admit to it. Thus, my advice would
be to not say anything, should you decide to prune. If anyone brings it
up, lie and say it "expired", as you said, just as though such a feature
existed. (Of course, only sysadmins have that capability, etc.)

The thing is, if you ever admit to altering someone's mailbox, then
they'll blame YOU from here on out every time they f*ck up and delete
something important. And there'll be all sorts of privacy issues, etc.

My respect of most users has gradually dwindled over the years. I used to
be angry at AOL for insinuating that every technical problem was on the
user's end (not that I ever used them, myself), but having run InterLink
for a few years now, I see that it's very dangerous to admit fault. On the
one hand, it's aggrevating when airlines & telcos & ISPs constantly gloss
things over & outright lie, but on the other hand, that's what 90% of the
"sheeple" want to hear.

Sucks.

-J