Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 01:16:27 -0400
From: AnchorDesk <AnchorDesk_Daily@anchordesk.zdlists.com>
To: tg@CITYSCAPE.NET
Subject: My plan for getting Linux on the desktop (good luck)

_____________________DAVID COURSEY_____________________

MY PLAN FOR GETTING LINUX ON THE DESKTOP (GOOD LUCK)

   PLATFORMS: On Tuesday, I told you Linux can never make
         it as a desktop OS. You begged to differ. So
         I'm reconsidering: What would it take to make
         this pipe dream come true? Herewith, my prescription
         for making Linux a popular consumer pick...and
         the tough obstacles that might keep this from
         ever happening.

http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?/adeskb/adt0614/2774791:694893

**************************Advertisement***************************
Hey, Grads! Get One Before They're Gone!
Buy a Toshiba Satellite(R) 2800-S202 portable now and get a
FREE $230 connection bundle from ShopToshiba!
Go mobile with plug-'n-play connectivity-FREE when you buy now!
http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?104071:694893

_____________________NEWS ANALYSIS_____________________

Patrick Houston

    WINDOWS XP: TOO MUCH FOR SOME PCS? Microsoft's
    new OS might be so turbo-charged that
    the average PC just can't handle it.
    While MS says a 300MHz processor will
    be just fine, analysts warn that you'd
    better think 650MHz and up. Will this
    spark a spurt of hardware upgrades?

      CHIP DESIGN: HUMANS NOT ALLOWED. Forget
    human hands-on. New technology being
    pioneered by Hewlett-Packard will
    let computers design themselves, leading
    to the creation of specialized chips
    without so much as a human touch. Paging
    HAL.

      NETSCAPE SET TO UNLEASH 6.1 BETA. Netscape,
    which recently positioned itself closer
    to the software market than the browser
    biz, is releasing its long-delayed
    6.1 browser in beta form. Should we count
    on it?

http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?/adeskb/adt0614/2774880:694893

_____________________EXPERT ADVICE_____________________

Janice Chen

  PUMP UP THE VOLUME! HOW TO GET A HIGH-END SOUND CARD--CHEAP

  SHOPPING: Your PC is a video marvel: It plays DVDs great
         and it's fantastic for games. But what about
         the sound? For less than $100, you can get a
         sound card that'll blow your mind (and ears).
         Janice tells you where to look.

http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?/adeskb/adt0614/2774536:694893

Wendy Dittamore

  GOT AN OLD PC? HERE'S HOW TO WRING USE FROM IT (OR DITCH
  IT)

  PC RECYCLING: That system you bought six years ago just isn't
         up to snuff anymore. So you've abandoned it
         in favor of your brand new desktop PC. But what
         to do with the old one? Wendy has some ideas
         on how to get the most out of it.

http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?/adeskb/adt0614/2774555:694893

Preston Gralla

   HOW TO GET THE MOST OUT OF NEWSGROUPS--FOR FREE

  KILLER DOWNLOADS: Before there was a Web, there were newsgroups.
         And they're still one of the largest depots
         of information both profound and arcane.
         Preston has three free downloads that'll
         help you cruise, read, and make posts to newsgroups
         in a snap.

http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?/adeskb/adt0614/2774717:694893

_____________________CRUCIAL CLICKS_____________________
Make sure you see these features on ZDNet today!

READ ABOUT XEROX'S LATEST MULTIFUNCTION UNIT
http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/overview/0,8826,517530,00.html

FIND OUT WHAT'S INSIDE YOUR PC
http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/stories/main/0,5594,2769453,00.html

CHECK OUT TDK'S MOJO MP3 PLAYER
http://www.zdnet.com/supercenter/stories/overview/0,12069,519686,00.html

***********************ELSEWHERE ON ZDNET!************************

GET READY FOR THE GAMEBOY ADVANCE!
http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?106362:694893

Nintendo's next portable gaming machine will be arriving in
stores on Monday, June 11th, along with an impressive batch
of launch software. Check out GameSpot for links to everything
you need to know about the new system and where to buy it.

ATTENTION ALL IT GURUS!
http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?106363:694893

TechRepublic has the information you need now. Whether you're an
IT manager, consultant, strategist or developer, you'll find
engaging and up-to-date technical content, community interaction,
plus valuable Resource Guides, downloads and more. Join today!

AnchorDesk comes to you free of charge as a
service of ZDNet. On its companion Web site,
AnchorDesk includes full details on the stories
you see above, plus late-breaking news, links
to in-depth information, and much more. Visit:
http://www.anchordesk.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe go to:
   http://www.anchordesk.com/filters/subscribe

We are sending this news alert to the address:
tg@CITYSCAPE.NET
Please make sure to provide this address in
all your email messages to us.  Thanks!

Copyright ) 2001 ZD Inc. ZDNet is a registered
service mark of ZD Inc. ZDNet Logo is a service
mark of ZD Inc.