FWD: Re: Jforum: J and dual-OS systems

FYI                Bob Ashworth

From: David Ness <DNess@home.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:20:32 -0400

Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> The critical thing -- from my personal experience and according to local
> Linux gurus -- is NOT to put both Linux and Windows logical partitions
> in extended partition on a hard drive; otherwise, the Linux partitions
> are likely to be corrupted.

I think that is realistic. Handling of `Extended' partitions is---at best---an
afterthought, and I trust it a good deal less than other things.

> (Red Hat claims this is not the case if you
> completely reformat your hard drive first and then use THEIR tools to
> partition.  PowerQuest's tech support says that's nonsense!)

Trus PowerQuest (PM) not Red Hat (IMO)

> I am UNCERTAIN whether a similar configuration would work in case the
> 2nd HD is also IDE.

I have 2 IDE on one of my two disk systems, and have had no trouble with
similar configurations.

> I know that during installation of Linux, I get a
> warning message that I was asking to put the boot partition on the 2nd
> HD.  But that worked just fine.  I vaguely remember reading somewhere
> that that could be a problem with a 2nd HD.  In that case, there's
> nothing to keep you, so far as I am aware, from putting the small /boot
> partition on the 1st HD and the rest of Linux on the 2nd.

I initially had some trouble getting the Linux bootable without an intervening
floppy (because it was on the 2nd HD on that system). Eventually I cured it with
an appropriate LILO.