Re: php,perl,app svr, sql dbase preferences

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 07:25:19PM -0500, Tesla Coil wrote:
> On 5 Sept 2001, Danny Sauer replied to Bob Castleberry:
> > Were I doing somethign like that (hmm, is that what
> > I do almost every day?), I'd do it with PHP and your
> > favorite DB backend.
> > [...]
> > Oh, and if you can find a pre-written app that does what
> > you need, don't waste your time reinvinting the wheel. ;)
>
> Have you looked at phpGroupWare.org?  I mentioned it
> to Bob directly, but you're probably better qualified
> to provide a review of how far along/promising it is.

I haven't looked at it for a few months, but it *does* look like
a pretty nice project.  Personally, I've had it on my list of things
that "would be nice to check out as soon as I get some time" for
a few months now, but keep having other things get in the way.  It
didn't appear mature enough to replace our legacy systems with at
the time, but looked real close.

There's some apps at www.horde.org that have a similar spirit and
might provide a good start to a php project.  I've used IMP in a
large-scale environment, and it performs really well.  The other apps
there are starting to mature to the point of usability now (finally)
too... :)

--Danny, who might get phpgroupware installed and tested before the next meeting