filehandles

Hey, I don't recall offhand if the maximum number fo filehandles is a
runtime configurable thing ("echo 2048 > /proc/kernel/filehandles") or
a compiletime thing.  Anyone know off the top of their heads how to
increase it?

As a side note, X has been really unstable for me recently, and netscape
crashes pretty frequently (more frequently than normal for netscape).  I
have a feeling that "not enough filehandles" is related to that.  Is there
something like lsof or an option to lsof that'll list open filehandles
with processes, or the number associated with processes, or something
like that?

Thanks.
--Danny