Re: foo?

> What is foo? I've seen it before in source code, but I
> have never been able to figure out what it is.

Yeah -- it's used as a generic variable name or value, such as:

$foo = "bar";

much in the same way that typesetters use phrases in Latin to fill space.
The idea is, you get to see what the layout looks like without worrying
about the content.

Same with foo & bar: you can write a pseudo program and make it clear that
the names aren't important -- just the concept.