.htaccess authorization on referer

i'm working on getting a .htaccess file to authenticate based on a referer
url. i have:

<Limit GET>
  order deny,allow
  deny from all
    referer allow from http://yourdomain.com/*
    OnDeny http://yourdomain.com/warningpage.htm
</Limit>

i'm getting the following error when i try using this syntax for auth:

  Invalid command 'referer', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module
  not included in the server configuration

is my syntax incorrect? or does it rely on a module? and if so does anyone
know which so i can verify its in my config?

thanks -charles